Soy free mushroom “Miso” soup. Fill up on this soy-free mushroom miso soup with a surprise ingredient...
Soy free mushroom “Miso” soup.Fill up on this soy-free mushroom miso soup with a surprise ingredient.
It can be tricky to recreate Asian flavors on the Paleo diet because many Asian staples like soy sauce and miso are soy-based. This recipe, though, makes smart substitutions to replicate the flavor of Japanese miso soup.
While coconut aminos is an obvious sub for soy sauce, our substitution for miso may surprise you: tahini! The sesame seed paste recreates the creamy mouthfeel of miso soup, while mushrooms, vegetable stock, fish sauce, and coconut aminos all capture the soup’s distinctive umami flavor.
Helpful Tips To Get You Started:
- Experiment with different mushrooms. If white button mushrooms are too subtle for your taste, you can try portobello or shiitake mushrooms for an even stronger flavor.
- Add in your favorite veggies and proteins. Add more heft to your meal with veggies like carrots and bok choy, or throw in some chicken or steak for protein.
Whip up this soy-free mushroom “miso” soup for a friendly dish that looks and tastes like the real deal.
- Julienne peeler
- Medium pot
- Small mixing bowl
- 3 ¼ cups water, divided
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 T thinly sliced garlic
- 1 T tahini
- 1 T fish sauce
- 1 T coconut aminos plus extra for serving
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1 t salt
- 6 cups zucchini noodles
- 1 T spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 T fresh red chili, finely chopped
- 1 T sesame seeds
- Combine 3 cups of water, 3 cups of vegetable stock, and sliced garlic in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- While the water-stock mixture is coming to a boil, whisk the tahini, fish sauce, coconut aminos, and ¼ cup of hot water together in a small bowl, until smooth and creamy.
- Stir the tahini mixture into the pot, add the sliced mushrooms and bring the heat down to medium. Cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the lime juice and add the salt.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the pot and cook for 2 minutes, until al dente.
- Divide the noodles and soup evenly between two bowls. Garnish with spring onions, red chili, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
READ MORE:KETO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH FAT BOMBS.
WOMEN WHO HAVE THESE TISSUES IN THE CHEST ARE AT RISK OF CANCER
GUIDE TO ADMINISTRATION AND FUNCTION OF MEDICINES
10 WAYS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR BOOSTS GUT HEALTH (PLUS: 5 TASTY WAYS TO USE IT).
8 HAND AND FINGER EXERCISES TO ERASE ARTHRITIS PAIN.
KETO SWEETENERS: THE LOW CARB GUIDE TO THE BEST AND WORST.
4 WAYS YOUR OVARIES IMPACT YOUR HEALTH BEYOND PREGNANCY.
HOW MUCH PROTEIN SHOULD YOU CONSUME PER DAY?
DIET WITH MUSHROOMS AND SPINACH
FOODS TO FIGHT CANCER